Thursday, June 13, 2013

Our little ballerina...

Laurelei has had sort of a love/ hate relationship with organized activities this year, meaning, she has hated t-ball, but loved dance. She is all girl! (The fact that the most exciting part of t-ball for her was the 'costume' should have been a dead giveaway.)
We signed Laurelei up for dance in the fall once she became obsessed with being on stage just like her cousin Kaitlyn. At first, she was extremely disappointed that it would take nearly a whole year to get on stage at her recital, but in time she bought into the weekly classes, practice, and waiting.
When recital time came around this spring, it all proved to be worth the wait. The anticipation she felt every time we talked about being on stage was contagious. She beamed every time we mentioned it. It helped that her recital was at the local Opera House. In her words, "She got to be a princess on stage in the castle." I love that she felt that way!
The rehearsals with her were so much fun. Sure they took up some time, but she loved it. It was great seeing her in her element and watching her do something that she loved! It's hard to explain, but it really did become a special time for us!
When the big recital night came she was ready to go! She didn't blink an eye at the 200+ people in the audience or the bright lights. She loved every second of it. She did about as well as you'd expect any 4 year old to do in memorizing her routine, and was of course absolutely perfect!
After both of her dances were complete, she sat in the audience and watched the older dancers, mesmerized, despite the fact that it was past 10:00 pm during a 4 hour recital! She was gleaming. She felt proud of herself and I loved that.
I am very aware of the fact that she is only 4, I promise, and I know that some people roll their eyes at little girls in big costumes and makeup. That said, it brought her happiness and a sense of accomplishment, and I wouldn't take any of it back in a heart beat (even if her number unfortunately ended up being 'Happy Helpers' and her costume resembled that of a french maid, just saying.)
It was the perfect night celebrating our little ballerina!

2 comments:

  1. L sounds like me when I was little- my dad put me in t-ball where I was hell bent on picking the coaches a bouquet of dandelions from the outfield and I was insistent about wearing a skirt to the game (so they would know I was a girl-duh). Needless to say, dance was my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love her! What a little doll. precious pics too

    ReplyDelete