Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cataloging Moments

It has been heavy on my mind lately that I need to be more purposeful about cataloging the precious moments of our family. I love to share little stories of L with friends and family, but seldom write them down. When I think of this, the progression of my thoughts spirals quickly out of control (which I am sure Matt would suggest is not really a big deal, for me at least.)

Anyway, my chain of thoughts the other day went something like this...

"I never write down sweet things L does..."
"After a few days, I kind of start to forget the sweet things L did..."
"Oh no, what was that really cute thing she said the other day?"
"What if always forget all the cute things she ever did?"
"Oh no, I WILL NEVER be able to remember the most important moments of her life!"
"What about when I have more children? I will forget all the sweet things they did too!"
"Oh no, I am the worst mother ever, I will NEVER have a single story to tell L about her childhood because I won't EVER remember ANYTHING!"

It only took a minute for me to scale my paranoia down. (It was starting to become like my fear of pumping gas when I was pregnant with L, I was sure someone was going to throw a cigarette in my gas tank and blow us all up, real reasonable, right?) There have been billions of women for endless generations that have done just fine without journaling or blogging. However, it made me decide that since I have this tool at my disposal now, maybe I should attempt to use it. Plus, one of the sweetest things my mother did for me was keep a calendar of my first year, complete with little notes about sweet things I did. When I was pregnant with L I cherished it and re-read it a million times over. I want to have memories like that for my children someday to peruse too.

All that to say, if you begin to see an influx in my blog posts, this new desire to 'keep a record' is probably to blame.

So, one quick sweet moment to share...
Tonight Matt sat down with L to read her a story from one of my FAVORITE books from when I was a child, Minnie 'n Me. I hadn't snapped a picture of them in awhile and I knew I just wanted to remember this sweet moment. Sometimes L can be so gentle when she wants to get your attention...and this little picture just says it all! Couldn't be more blessed by them both.

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! What a great picture!

    I agree with you about remembering stuff. I have little notes of the things Jayce has said written down all over the place, sticky notes, on the back of envelopes, etc. I hate when I've had something that I was dying to tell Chris about but when he gets home I can't remember what it was!

    And I laughed out loud about you being afraid of pumping gas when you were pregnant. :) Pregnancy brings out the rationality in all of us I think.

    ReplyDelete