Sunday, April 26, 2009

first moments



As more and more people seem to be bringing precious babies into the world I start to think back four short months ago to when Laurelei was born. Her whole delivery seems like such a haze when I think of how quickly it all happened. We got to the hospital around 3:30 am, got the epidural around 8:00am and Laurelei was born at 10:24. In the end, everything happened so quickly because of the complications that it is sometimes hard to remember each step of the process. I had always imagined labor would be a long process, and it turned out it seemed to fly by! The big emotions I remember feeling were excitement, immense fear when our heart rates dropped, disbelief when she was born and I saw her for the first time, and overwhelming confusion when they whisked her away.
When I look back on December 16th I feel so blessed to have made it through such a scary time with a healthy baby. Sometimes, however, it still makes me a little bit sad to think of how I missed the first 10 hrs. of Laurelei's life. After holding her for about 30 seconds, (which felt like a lifetime at the moment), I spent the rest of the day hearing about all of her "firsts" as friends and family told me what she was like from what they had observed through the window. If I could go back in time, the one thing I would do differently is to have spent that entire day thanking God for a life I had faith would last. 

1 comment:

  1. So happy I found your blog friend. Thanks for all your encouragement before delivery. Labor was a very cool experience for the Stout's. Jess Cornett made us a worship CD and I had a verse from the bible as my focal point. It was truly a miracle that I will never forget. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete