Sunday, May 27, 2012

3 going on 30...

As if our kiddos aren't growing up fast enough, these past couple of weeks L and I have had conversations about how she thinks she is ready to grow up. I think it all started when I was eating bubble gum in the car. Apparently, bubble gum is really, really cool. We obviously don't let Laurelei have gum yet, since she would just swallow it immediately anyway, but she really wants to try it.
So, as we were driving down the street Laurelei decided there were lot's of reasons why she wished she was an adult. And, I quote, "When I am bigger, I can shop, paint my own nails, and chew gum." It gave me some important insight as to how L thinks I spend my time! We pulled up outside of Kroger the other day so that I could run in and pick something up while Matt sat in the car with the kids. Laurelei piped up from the back seat, "It's okay mommy, I can just run in. You can sit in the car." Aye, aye, aye! How old does she think she is?
The next time it came up L was filling me in about how she really needed 'boobies.' When she says that, what she really means is a bra. Either way, I disagree! I immediately began an important line of questioning as to why she thought she might 'need' such a thing. After following a 3 year old train of thought I figured out where this was coming from. The conversation went something like this:

L: "I'm a girl, right?"
Me: "Of course your a girl, and daddy's a boy, and Abbott's a boy..."
L: "And you're a girl?"
Me: "Yep."
L: "And you have boobies?"
Me: "WHAT?"
L: "And daddy doesn't?"
Me: "...?"
L:"And daddy's not a girl?"
Me: "...?"
L: "I'm a girl and don't have 'em, and I don't want to be a boy like daddy, so I need my own boobies now, okay mommy? You need to tell daddy to take me to the store and buy me some, okay mommy? Then I can be big and be a girl. Will you tell daddy, okay?"
Me: "Maybe you should tell daddy yourself. I'd like to see what he says when you ask him."

We all knew this conversation would happen eventually, but it still took me a little by surprise!
And finally, the most heart wrenching of all the recent obsessions L has with getting older, was the conversation we had about her getting married. Turns out, shes ready. She thinks she'd look pretty in a big dress. Her wedding dress will be pink of course. And, she would like lots of cupcakes. That only she can eat. Because it's her wedding, so she can tell everyone not to eat her cupcakes. Currently, she is planning to marry herself. She will need to move into her own house though. Apparently ours is too small for all of her 'stuffs' and her baby. She's planning on taking Abby to be her baby at her new house, unless she can 'find' a girl baby first. Hilarious.

Even if all of these conversations are kind of funny through the lens of a three year old, I am still not ready for ANY of these things to happen. She is growing up way to fast.

 miscellany monday at lowercase letters

3 comments:

  1. S did something similar the other day. She pointed to my chest and said, "boob" then to the other side and said "more boob, mommy's boobs". Of course, i told her she was right and she looked down at her chest and said, "my boobs" then put her hands in the air to let me know she didn't know where they were. So not ready for this stuff! At least it's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so adorable and funny! I adore her name, too. :) The "boobies" story is hilarious! I love her wedding plans...that is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my... kids say the cutest things ever. you are right... they really do tell us so much about ourselves. she's such a gorgeous girl!

    ReplyDelete