Saturday, May 19, 2012

May

May has been a busy month around here. It's funny though, because I also don't remember a whole lot of what was making things so crazy. Seems like just a few stand out to me.

We started the month as all good Kentuckians do, celebrating Derby! We made a weekend of it, by driving to Dayton to see Jess and Jarod, before heading to Louisville. Jess and Jarod just bought their first house and it is AWESOME! I cannot believe how cute and perfect it is for their growing little family. It was so much fun to reminisce, eat puppy chow, and just enjoy good conversation with great friends!

In Louisville we did the traditional Forcht family Derby day. The kids fished, the adults talked, everyone picked horses. Laurelei caught her very first fish! It was so sweet. The fish was too heavy for her little princess fishing pole, so Matt had to help her reel it in by pulling the line with his hands. She was really excited!
Abbott and I got in some good cuddle time too. And I was super excited when the horse I picked won! It was a great day. 
The next weekend was Mother's day. It kind of snuck up on us because of all the things that were going on in Matt's family. Matt's sweet Mamaw passed away the Thursday of that week. It was incredibly hard on Matt's whole family to say goodbye to such a wonderful person. As far as Mamaw's go, I'm certain she was one of the best. The visitation and service was held on Mother's day, and it was a long day for everyone. I know Mamaw will be missed by so many people.

Somewhere in the midst of all that was going on, we got to spend an afternoon at May Fest in Gratz park as a family. It's a small arts and crafts fair held each may in Lexington. I love walking through the park on a sunny day, holding hands with Matt, pushing strollers full of sweet babies. It was just what we needed, reconnecting and spending time as a family. Remembering how important each passing moment and memory is. Cherishing the little things and each other. 
This month has held some definite highs and lows so far. I think what we've gotten most out of the beginning of May is an awareness of how important family is, and how fast time truly goes. 

2 comments:

  1. Time is definitely not on our side anymore... I love all of your photos! :) I can't believe how big L is getting to be! And A is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love the goat trying to eat Laurelei's dress...

    I had a goat trying to eat my stroller when I was little...

    they really like brightly colored fabric...

    ReplyDelete