1. The Bump.
Not only is it there earlier, it is there is full force. I am talking hello ready for the maternity pants at 14 weeks force. (And that is only because I have been kidding myself that if I wore my normal pants fashioned with a rubber band through the buttonhole for the last 3 weeks, I was somehow less huge!)
2. The Cute Belly Shots.
I remember with L I wanted a new picture everyday. Oh how I was glowing in my sweet pregnant body! This time around? Well lets just say I VOW to get up early enough at least one day this week to actually fix my hair. Then, maybe we'll take a picture or two? And besides just being a little too tired to look cute at the moment, I am having a hard time convincing myself that people won't be talking about how huge my belly looks for being 'only' 14 weeks along!
3. Fatigue.
The doctor laughed at me today. It has something to do with some ridiculous comment I made about not normally coming in for a cold, but I was just SO tired and rundown this time. She looked at me and said, "Is this your first pregnancy?" (followed closely with a look like, you poor naive thing, you will be tired when your pregnant...) I innocently replied, "No, it's my second." I think she felt bad when she laughed out loud, then felt the need to proceed and tell me that this is normal for the second time around. After she checked me out and sheepishly told me that I do in fact have a sinus infection and a 'mild' case of bronchitis I felt a little more validated. That being said, I haven't shaken that 1st trimester haze yet...it seems to be hanging around a little longer this time!
4. Nesting.
I know the motherly instinct will kick in, its just taking a little longer maybe? My normally picked up house has taken a turn for the worst. It seems to be taking a lot of determination to get off my butt and do something. Why is that? Maybe that is just the fatigue talking...
5. Worry.
With L, I was totally care free. Heck, We were living in a foreign country, we had no jobs to come home to, no home to live in, nothing! Looking back I don't think I batted an eye. Now, I worry over everything! Money, space, my babies growing up too quickly, my age... The list goes on and on. In some small way I like to think this is me being cautious and prepared. I don't necessarily think Matt sees it that way...
6. Baby Style.
I might have said I wanted my nursery decor to be 'different' last time around, but as soon as I looked through baby catalogs I swooned over the lavenders, pink, and everything I had always dreamed a nursery would be. It was EXTREMELY baby traditional, and that fit my first pregnancy. This time around, I am so ready to think outside the box and create a nursery that is more our style.
7. Being Prepared.
I was so scared of labor, bringing home baby, etc. the first time around. Matt likes to think I am crazy because immediately after having L, (we are talking maybe 2 minutes?) I told him I was ready to do this 10 more times. Ha! All that fear for what? The adrenaline and excitement of bringing a baby into the world, (hardship, pain, worry, struggle, crisis and all!) was unlike anything I could have imagined. I feel so prepared to do that part again, which is saying something after my post a few days ago...
8. My Modesty.
This isn't something I want to share a lot about, but if you are a mom you know what I am talking about. Let's just say this time around it's not so hard to be very 'candid' with my doc!
9. Our Commitments.
I am not saying I wasn't committed to the first pregnancy, our family, or L by any means. I just don't think I realized what the most important things were in raising a family. I had ideas and books I'd read and a vision of what I wanted. Now though, after a few years of marriage and one awesome kid, I think Matt and I have a real handle on what we need to be commited to as a family. I think our committment to raising a healthy, God-centered family has grown stronger with baby #2. Maybe it's just that I realized that if I am going to make it as a mom, wife, and teacher through all the uncertainty, hardship, excitement, growth, joy and sorrow I better be leaning on and commited to the right thing.
10. Love.
I had NO idea how much I could possibly love a little human before Laurelei. We were so excited about the pregnancy and our baby, but finally bringing her into the world totally overwhelmed my emotions! I love that in this second pregnancy I can feel even more connected to the little one on the way because I get to experience L every single day. And loving 2 children this way, it just makes my heart want to overflow!
Oh, Patrice, isn't it amazing how God uses each of our babies to "grow" us as people. I have changed an unbelievable amount since I was pregnant with Avery. I have definitely realized what is really important and not to waste a second of precious time.
ReplyDeleteI have heard that the fatigue gets worse with each pregnancy and I definitely found that to be true. On top of taking care of the baby inside you, you have to care for the little one that is already out and they aren't too worried about how tired you may be! : )
I am so excited for your sweet family! And those pictures of Laurelei holding the ultrasound picture are so perfectly precious!