Let me start by saying, I am currently watching American Idol and this guy Scotty is doing absolutely nothing for me. I cannot believe this is the finale! Am I alone or is anyone else just a little less than excited about this season?
Anyway, moving on. Recently I was reading this sweet book to Laurelei:
I remember the lullaby from when I was a child, but it struck me completely differently as a parent. Particularly as a parent who is currently experiencing night time whoa's.
Ever since Laurelei started sleeping in a toddler bed, night time has been hit or miss. We, (ahem, Matt, ahem), made the mistake of laying in bed with her in the beginning. That was difficult to break for sure. Eventually we got out of her room and were permitted by the toddler to only 'sit on the stool' outside of her door. Lately, since its gotten brighter outside at night, Laurelei has developed a really bad habit of taking about one million and one toys to bed with her. We have certainly gone wrong somewhere, or many different places over and over again.
So, as the story goes...this has become our life from 7:30-9:00pm each evening.
"Hush little baby, don't throw a fit...anything you want, mommy will get...
And if she can't get it, you'll throw a fit...
And if you throw a big enough fit, anything mommy can't, daddy will get...
And if its simply not good enough, well then, the night will be rough!"
It reads a little different now that I am a mom. :) I think it might be back to the drawing board for us on bedtime routine. We have let the accommodating get a little out of hand...
And Matt and I are just a little exhausted!
Though the outcome is always the same, I would love to see the nights end a little more peacefully!
Please, enlighten me...how do you make bedtime work EVERY night?
As you know I lack experience in this category, but I chuckle as I read this;). L is so smart already. Look out Matt and Patrice...Abbot will learn from the best!
ReplyDeleteLove your comments about Scotty on american idol- I was saying that same thing last night! haha
ReplyDeleteGulp!
ReplyDeleteAll this sounds overwhelming. Why do kids fight sleep so darn hard? "Can't wait" to see what this little one has in store for us ;)
PS, the illustrations in that book are amazing.