The past couple of weeks have been exciting ones for Abbott's tummy. Over presidents day weekend we decided to take advantage of our extra day off. We cleaned, played, got lots of laundry done, and gave Abbott his first bites of rice cereal.
The doctor told us we could start whenever at our 4 month check up. I'll admit that Abbott was probably ready, seeing as how it would suit him just fine to have bottle in his mouth every 5 seconds. Mommy, however, was not. It's not surprise that I've been on that kick of not wanting little one to grow anymore than he already has. But, alas, we started the cereal anyway at right around 5 months. We only got a few bites in the first time, but more than once since then he's almost eaten through a whole serving!
And don't worry, despite his first impressions, he loves it now. Especially since we've switched over to oatmeal, which appears to be much more appetizing.
In other baby food news, I've decided to give making my own baby food a go. With Laurelei we just bought every flavor Gerber had to offer. First babies can be so overwhelming you sometimes feel like you couldn't possibly embark on any other new projects besides just the new baby! I feel a lot more up to multitasking this second time around. I mean I am currently blogging with a 3 year old on my lap while rocking a bouncy seat with one foot, so making my own baby food shouldn't be all that overwhelming, right?
We started with peas. For some reason they seemed not as daunting as some other food varieties. We didn't quite have the most successful first experience. Our equipment was less than adequate for the task. We are definitely going to be borrowing a food processor for the next attempt. After using three separate mixing/ blending devices we finally settled on the right texture. From one bag of frozen peas we were able to freeze about 20 individual pea servings.
Abbott had a couple of spoonfuls of the left over veggie and they were a big hit. It made me feel very proud of my efforts! We are planning to keep him on mostly cereal with only a couple of spoonfuls of peas this week. As we get closer to 6 months I think we will get a little more adventurous. I'm excited about the healthy options we can explore making our own food at home. And I'm not going to lie, I appreciate the price too! Next up is sweet potatoes I think. Wish us luck!
hope you are enjoying the snow day off!
ReplyDeleteyou can do it! seriously, i do believe you are super mom. plus, making your own baby food is way cheaper. so it will pay off. i think abbott will thank you. : )
love it! I am really nervous to start cereal and food. I have no idea why though????? Anyways, I would like to make my own baby food only because I'm cheap, not organic or whatever. If you get it down, will you do a post on how to make baby food and store? I will need that! Or, I may just be lazy..but sometimes the cheap part of me outweighs the lazy! ha!
ReplyDelete