Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beautifully out of the loop...

I gave up facebook for Lent. I don't give up things for Lent every year, seeing as how it's not technically a part of my belief system or anything, but every couple of years I use this as a time to give up something I think I've put too much time into. It reminds me to focus on more important things.
I've spent a lot of time in my life playing the comparison game. Worrying about other people, wondering what they are doing and if I should be doing it too. I knew that being so over connected to people through facebook was not doing me any favors. I expected it to be hard to give up.

What I didn't expect was how good it would feel! The first couple of days were hard. It's hard to break the habit of knowing what's going on with people and wanting to check up on the world of facebook. Especially having that stupid app on my phone. (The first order of business was to delete that of course!) But, after I adjusted to 'not knowing' I LOVED 'not knowing.' I feel so content. I have no idea what is going on with people I barely know in real life and I am okay with that! I do miss keeping up with people who are far away more easily, but it's only encouraged me to make real contact more often. And that is a beautiful thing!

I feel so out of the loop, and I can honestly say it feels great!

1 comment:

  1. I have also loved cutting way back on Facebook almost forgetting about it by now. I spend much more quality time with my family.

    ReplyDelete