Monday, June 11, 2012

Ready

So, I'm finally ready to talk about it. The big transition. Leaving my old school 'home' and joining my new one. For some reason, I've been in denial for the past few weeks, and just recently have really come to terms with the move. Here's the skinny if you've been following my story and are just dying to know what is going on, (So, read on, all 2 of you out there! :)

Around 6 weeks ago I was told by my principal that I'd be getting a pink slip due to funding at the school. It's that uncomfortable title no one in education wants, to be 'pink-slipped.' I've been lucky enough the past two years to not get one, making me cozy in my position at the school, where I've spent the last 3 years teaching. I guess it's the nature of working at a small school with a highly tenured staff. At some point, everyone is low man on the totem pole.

The last day of school came and I'd heard mostly rumors about what 'could' happen. How money may or may not get shifted around. Who could or could not move into what positions. I approached the principal about it, wanting to know rather than just hear.  I was pretty devastated to find out that the money still wasn't there for my position. If I was going to be able to stay at my school it would be at least July before the money was available to bring me back. There is no way I could wait that long to find out. I wish I could say my family was in a position where I could handle not having a job, but that is currently just not the case!

I'm not going to lie and say that my school was perfect because it definitely was not, but my team was just as close as you could probably get! We'd become pretty close over the past couple of years and worked together well. I was heart broken thinking of leaving them! And it wasn't just my team I didn't want to leave. I'd made many friends there over the past few years, people that were more than just colleagues. It's not that I won't still see them outside of work, I'll just miss passing them in the hallway or laughing together after school. We always managed to have a good time even on not so good days.

The transition was hard, but the timeline couldn't have been more perfect. When they say God's timing is always perfect they are right! The last day of school was on a Thursday. I packed up my classroom with many tears on Friday, feeling just totally broken about the whole thing. That afternoon, a good friend emailed me to say that there was a position opening at her school, on her team. I contacted her right away, interviewed that next Tuesday, and accepted the position Wednesday! It all happened so fast, and I am feeling really good about it.

You know what makes it feel even better? My new colleagues are fantastic too! Wednesday I got to join them for martinis and I couldn't have had a better time. It felt good to know I was joining another fun team. Thursday I got to enjoy lunch with my old team, Kelsey, Kim, and Melodie. I finally felt peace about the whole thing for the first time. I realized that my circle of friends and colleagues was just growing. I know that this transition won't be the end of my connection with Melsey and Kim. :) I know this whole thing is going to end up being some sort of blessing in disguise.
 If you follow me on Pinterest, you probably have noticed I've been pinning classroom ideas like crazy! I'll only be teaching math, which is exciting, but I am in need of fresh ideas. Stay tuned for many classroom ideas and updates. I'm putting the finishing touches on my plan book, so I'll have to come back and share it soon.

Here's to change and a happy summer time!

4 comments:

  1. I follow your story! How exciting that you get to start this new journey. The Lord always puts us right where we need to be. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that really is perfect timing! I am so happy you were able to find a job so quickly, and one where you fit in with your team members. That is truly a blessing. I work in Scott county and it was so hard seeing people get pink slipped this year. Many more than last year. It's always nerve wracking to think you could be next. I can't wait to follow along your journey at the new school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad God has been the sovereign God we know he is during this transition. Where will your new home be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so glad that this worked out so well!! Wow, I can't believe you might have had to wait until July, that is crazy!! I'm so happy for you that you have tenure and some stability in that, and that you love your new co-workers too! Every once in a while I panic about moving b/c I think, "I'm leaving all of my friends!" but then I think, "Now I get to meet new ones!" It works, sometimes. :)

    Looking forward to hearing more about it all!

    ReplyDelete