Sunday, January 1, 2012

11 for '11

Here are 11 of my favorite memories from 2011, in order from start to finish...

1...Time with grandparents.
Laurelei was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with her great-grandparents this year, and for that I am thankful. I don't take for granted how special the relationship between a child and their grandparents can be, and I was blessed to see Laurelei get to know, love and interact with Matt's and I's grandparents this year. One of my favorite memories was my papaw's birthday last winter, when Laurelei sat by his side and helped him open every single one of his presents. It was very, very sweet.
2...Snow days with Laurelei.
Because of bedrest L and I were robbed of our lazy summer days together. This helps me think back to those many snow days last winter we enjoyed together. We made cookies, played, napped, created. They were so special and some of the most full filling days my baby girl and I have spent together, just the two of us. I love the feeling of being holed up in the house, no place important enough to go to take us out in the blustery weather.
3...Finding out we were expecting #2.
I was convinced I was pregnant several times before I actually was. Poor Matt was victim to my mounting excitement and following disappointment each time I was wrong. We were getting ready for a quick dinner out with friends when I decided I thought I should take just one more pregnancy test. I couldn't believe it when it was positive and I know Matt couldn't either! We were so excited for what was to come! (I know, Matt looks really pleased. Don't worry, that was just his reaction to me making him take yet another self picture, not to the news!)
4...Chicago.
Over spring break I enjoyed 4 days in Chicago with two of my favorite people! We didn't know at the time but it was to be our last vacation as a family of three (we missed the beach because of bedrest.) We had a great time traipsing all over the city. Visiting the aquarium, museums, spoiling L, eating great food. It was an awesome trip.
5...It's a boy!
I had not so secretly hoped that we would have a boy this time, though I'd have been scarce to admit it if we'd had a girl! I loved growing up with my brother Harrison, and couldn't wait to raise a little boy of my own. We settled on the name Abbott, one of my favorites, while we were still at the doctor's office. It was such a happy moment!
6...Potty training.
2011 was the year of potty training L. It was full of memorable moments, many of which I just cannot share with the public, but I will say this. This thought has passed through my mind many times over the past few months: Never take for granted everyday you go without having an accident because at one point or another some brave soul had to teach you how to do that, and for that you should be eternally grateful! :)
7...Fireflies.
One night shortly after I was put on bedrest Mat and I let L stay up late to look for fireflies. She had never experienced this before, and her excitement was simply contagious. At that point we didn't know how my pregnancy was going to turn out, and we had decided that we would be grateful for all the little moments we had together in the meantime. It was a great memory.
8...Conversations with L.
2 is a fun age. L was 2 for most of 2011, and we had a lot of fun conversations. Some of the most memorable questions and conversations came from the subject of my growing belly, and those are some truly priceless moments.
I have said it before, but I really do mean it...laboring and giving birth have been some of the most amazing moments of my life. It's hard, but more fun and rewarding that I can even explain. Having Abbott this year seemed to complete my world, and bringing him here safely was the best blessing I could have asked for. He was a much awaited, heavily anticipated little guy, and he lived up to all the hype and worry. What a little blessing. 11:53, best moment of 2011.
10...Laurelei meeting Abbott for the first time. 
And then there were 4. Laurelei's response to Abbott couldn't have been greater. She was so excited to have a little brother, and loved him so much from the very first second. I know she is going to continue to be just the best big sister her little brother could ask for, so long as she can keep from smothering him with her hugs and kisses. 
11...Lazy days with Abbott.
My maternity leave with Abbott was pure bliss. I could finally breathe easy knowing he was here and safe. We laid around every day for almost 9 weeks and it was truly lovely. I am not sure I will ever have the opportunity to rest like I did with him, so I am thankful for that time! I am also thankful that I got sometime to bond with my second born just the two of us. I know that many moms don't have that opportunity and I don't take that for granted either!
Happy 2012. May there be even more truly wonderful memories made this year!

linking to e tells tales.

1 comment: