Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My very best Martha.

I always have this "ahhh..."moment when I get my Martha Stewart Living magazine in the mail. What an absolute treat it is each and every time. I like to sit down, exhale from this crazy life for 5 minutes, and just totally soak in all the gorgeous sweetness. The latest issue, the Valentine's issue, definitely did not disappoint.
 I took one look at the cover and thought, "I have to have that!" So, I've spent the last couple of days looking for those few precious minutes to do my very best Martha. It wasn't quite to scale and definitely not as grand, but I still love it!
With little time and no funds, I decided to pool my resources here at home. I found left over red tissue paper from Christmas wrapping that did just the trick. After digging a few pink and maroon tissue scraps from my wrapping stash and a leftover piece of cardboard I was set. All I had left to do was keep my little helping hands busy with a project of her own too...
 I've made a million tissue paper flowers before. We make them each year in my class for Mother's Day. I have followed Martha's tips before, found here. There is also a great YouTube video tutorial found here. This is the super easy accordion fold and fluff technique, a classic! I made a variety of sizes and textures from my different scrap colors.
Once my flowers were finished, I cut a simple heart shape from an old piece of cardboard.
Some simple arranging later and a few dabs of hot glue and I was done! I had my very own Martha-inspired 'wreath.' It is so vibrant and fresh. I love it! It's oh so fun to come home to each afternoon too!
This little project was pretty simple, but that doesn't mean it was stress free. :) I guess this could qualify as one of the first real projects I have done since adding a second little one to the household. Whew, it might have taken a bit of a mess and a few crying sessions to get through, for all of us! So, in the spirit of keeping it real here is a small, small sneak peak into what my living looked like during said project. Yikes. I couldn't bare to show you the rest!
Even despite the disarray it caused, I had fun getting back into the swing of crafting this week! It did make me just miss Lemon Tree Creations that much more. You girls ready to start that back up again yet? :)

Linking up with...

3 comments:

  1. I love it! So bright and fun! I agree, whenever I see that magazine, (I don't have a subscription) I just let out a big sigh because it's just so pretty!

    This is your first project since Abbott has been born?! Yes, it is a bit crazier, for sure. I'm not quite ready for LTC again yet, but I have still been crafting away. It's satisfying the itch for the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am brand new to Lemon Creations, and to your blog. It is lovely. I think you did the right thing about letting something go in your life. You are still doing so much! I believe it is a myth that you can have it all. All of what? I believe it is like watering down lemonaid, eventually it just tastes sour, not delicious.
    Teresa from Virginia Beach
    teresarieke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete