Thursday, October 13, 2011

"but I want to cry..."

Oh Laurelei, she is a sweet and sassy little girl.

We took her to the mall last night to pick our her Halloween costume. As I mentioned before she wants to be a princess this year. Instead of doing our usual cringing at the thought of an overpriced dress and trying to steer her in the direction of something Matt or I think is cuter, we decided to just let her pick. She has been going back and forth between Belle and Sleeping Beauty, so we thought letting her do the shopping would help her make the decision. Luckily, we were right and the first stop on the shopping trip was a success! She picked Belle. They had a myriad of accessories to go with each princess dress, so we let her pick just one, and wouldn't you know she picked the light-up heels. So uber stylish, this one! :)
When we left the Disney store, she saw these little balloon dogs in one of those mall kiosks. Matt and I thought they were hilariously cute, and L really wanted a puppy...
So we caved. After all, this little outing was supposed to be all about her. With the amount of attention Abbott has gotten from us and everyone else lately, we thought we could swing $5 for a pink puppy. She had it follow her around everywhere, it was pretty sweet. 

When we got home L was a little over tired. Sometimes on special nights like this we set our little girl up for failure. After all the excitement she ends up with a later than usual dinner and completely worn out. Last night she ended up crying through her bath and the majority of her bedtime routine. I always feel a little guilty after good nights end this way for her. 

She did stop crying for a few minutes eventually, and her conversation with Matt went something like this...

Matt:"Why are you crying sweetheart? What's wrong."
L: "Wahhhhhhhh!!!"
Matt: "Laurelei, please stop crying."
L moans pitifully: "but I want to cry.."
Matt: "Why do you want to cry?"
L whines even more pitifully: "because I like to cry daddy, (sniffle, sniffle) wahhh!!!"
This helped me not feel quite so guilty anymore. Some days she is just equal parts sweet and sassy.

4 comments:

  1. Glad the Halloween costume was a success...LOL and she has to work both sides momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are so fun, Patrice! She is such a cutie. Avery just HAD to be a princess too. She is also going to Belle. Funny. I have to say Belle is one of the prettiest of the princesses! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We caved too.... Snow White it is :) I love that L knows that she "likes to cry"!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate on the setting her up for failure bit. I also (stupidly) try to explain things reasonably to my over-tired boy. "But mom already let you stay up late and we did this and this...so only 1 story tonight..." which never works. Glad she at least admitted she likes to cry, this will make teenage years easier. :)

    And I love Belle too! I watched that movie with J a few weeks ago and still have the opening song in my head. It's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete