Monday, October 10, 2011

Miscellany Monday

We have been enjoying some long, busy days around here. Maybe 4 will do that to you? Or maybe just having one really sick little girl is to blame? Either way, it's been a particularly long weekend in our little house. I'm a little late this Monday, but here is some of our miscellany...

us time...Matt and I got to be us for a little while again on Friday night. I've decided that date nights are going to be very important to us now. We need a little time to do more than just live life side by side. (Not that we aren't enjoying that too!) I decided around 4:00 in the afternoon that I would join him for a work thing he'd be trying to get me to come too. It was at a local winery and the night was just gorgeous. His parents came over to babysit on short notice and I headed off to meet him. The winery is about a 30 minute drive from our house, and it felt so weird to be alone in the car! I kept looking in the mirror 'checking on the kids.' I was also very aware when I pulled in that I look like a total nerdy mom in my car, seeing as how Matt installed those tacky window shades for the kids last weekend. (They are most likely coming down soon, as they are highly ineffective anyway!) Anyway, it wasn't the ideal date night, considering it was all business for him, but we got to do a little wine tasting, talking and really enjoyed one another's company. It felt so normal and admittedly a little refreshing to be with just him again for awhile. I am glad I went.
{I made this sign and hung it in our living room. It is just a sweet little reminder...:)}
worn down... So, it's been 3 weeks now since I have gotten more than 2.5 hours of sleep at a time, and I am feeling a little worn down. I love my little babies and am more than happy to be meeting their needs anytime of the day, but it is wearing me down a little bit. I am a little snappier with Matt (sorry babe!) and pretty much a walking zombie by 9:00 each night. I don't feel as overwhelmed or as tired as I did with L when she was a newborn, thankfully! But still, it's hard to not be productive and feel like less than my normal self most of the time. Thank goodness Abbott is a good little sleeper, now if only he would want to sleep for a slightly longer stretch between 12-5? :)

I'm not very babywise... This is my second attempt at babywise with my second little baby.  I'll just be honest, I'm not very good at it. For some reason I seem to produce extremely sleepy and underweight babies. Abbott will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I tell you what, there is no keeping that child awake between the hours of 11am-6pm. Sure, he wakes up every 3 hours on the dot to eat, but he is back asleep halfway through a feeding and that is that. We are only successful with wake time from around 8-10am, and occasionally from 6pm-8pm. Otherwise, its lights out 24/7. It makes for a lot of down time, but conducive to creating a schedule it is not!! I might need some advice?
{does your child look like this when you change their diaper?}

thank you fall... We have been spending more time outside, thanks to the gorgeous fall weather. I love this time of year. I need to practice spending more time soaking in each day while it is here! Thanks for the perfect weather we can enjoy long evening walks, chili, playtime outside, and fun fall treats. Speaking of, I have been making these smores bars lately and they are sooo yummy. I found the recipe through pinterest and it did not disappoint!
 {recipe via}

poor sick girl... L is sick. She hasn't been this sick since her ear infection days, so it is incredibly painful to watch! She has this horrid cough that sounds like she has glass shards stuck in her throat, you know the kind right? She is also completely hoarse, no little voice at all! Poor Matt had to sleep up with her on the couch all night last night. I think that in this day in age someone should invent a medicine that actually relieves the worst of cold symptoms for kids. Until she is 4 she is denied any relief at all! She is a trooper though. Still playing her heart out during the day and keeping her spirits up. Hopefully she is feeling better by tomorrow, she has already been out of commission for 3 days now. 
 friends with kids... We had new neighbors move in this weekend. L is so excited that one of them is a 2 year old little boy. She so desperately wants to have little people to play with more often! We wouldn't change a thing about our lives or the timing on which we started our family, but sometimes I am aware that it would great to be having kids at the same time as our friends. We are more than likely done in the having kids department, and the majority of our friends haven't even started. I need to be better about connecting with people in our same stage of life too!

Happy Monday!


2 comments:

  1. i hope your girl gets over this quick!!! it's so pitifully sad when the littles are sick.

    babywise is a good concept and reference, but it gave me a lot of guilt. when i wasn't getting the results they said i would, i felt like there was something wrong with me and/or my babies. i think it's best to do what you think is best for your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just started baby wise on friday. i can't tell right now what i think. i get upset with myself if i can't keep H awake for long or I get upset about her not getting enough sleep? but i think i'd be like that anyways... it has helped her sleep for longer stretches and not crying in the night for hours so i am thankful for that!

    how did you get date night? i feel so trapped with feeding every 3 hours when it takes an hour to feed her. i am dying to get out with brian. do you pump or use formula? sorry if it's too TMI to ask...i just want to know!!

    ReplyDelete