After soaking for awhile and trying really hard not to think about anything, I started to look around our tiny bathroom. I saw the Johnny Jump-Up hanging in the doorway. You know, the place where we have to corral Abbott while we shower so that L can't attack him and he can't eat anything off the floor. I smelled the bubble gum scent of L's 'Mr. Bubbles' that Matt put in the tub for me, making my bath some version of true 'luxury.' I saw the grilling tongs in the sink. That's right, I said grilling tongs. The ones Matt had used just a few minutes previously to fish out the nearly hundred 'wipies' Laurelei had tried drowning in the toilet. I saw all the evidence of my little family and realized that, despite the 'setting,' I am truly living my fairy tale. And maybe it is full of real moments of stress and uncertainty, but there is a whole lot of comedy, laughter, and happiness too; and it's all mine!
Saturday, April 21, 2012
fairy tales
I think I'll always remember today, when I realized everyone's fairy tale looks a little different. It's been a frustrating month in our house. Don't get me wrong, we are incredibly blessed that this kind of month would be considered frustrating, but never-the-less it's induced a few tears and a lot of anxiety on my part. So, after we got the kids in bed, I told Matt I just wanted to soak in a hot tub and try to relax just a little.
After soaking for awhile and trying really hard not to think about anything, I started to look around our tiny bathroom. I saw the Johnny Jump-Up hanging in the doorway. You know, the place where we have to corral Abbott while we shower so that L can't attack him and he can't eat anything off the floor. I smelled the bubble gum scent of L's 'Mr. Bubbles' that Matt put in the tub for me, making my bath some version of true 'luxury.' I saw the grilling tongs in the sink. That's right, I said grilling tongs. The ones Matt had used just a few minutes previously to fish out the nearly hundred 'wipies' Laurelei had tried drowning in the toilet. I saw all the evidence of my little family and realized that, despite the 'setting,' I am truly living my fairy tale. And maybe it is full of real moments of stress and uncertainty, but there is a whole lot of comedy, laughter, and happiness too; and it's all mine!
After soaking for awhile and trying really hard not to think about anything, I started to look around our tiny bathroom. I saw the Johnny Jump-Up hanging in the doorway. You know, the place where we have to corral Abbott while we shower so that L can't attack him and he can't eat anything off the floor. I smelled the bubble gum scent of L's 'Mr. Bubbles' that Matt put in the tub for me, making my bath some version of true 'luxury.' I saw the grilling tongs in the sink. That's right, I said grilling tongs. The ones Matt had used just a few minutes previously to fish out the nearly hundred 'wipies' Laurelei had tried drowning in the toilet. I saw all the evidence of my little family and realized that, despite the 'setting,' I am truly living my fairy tale. And maybe it is full of real moments of stress and uncertainty, but there is a whole lot of comedy, laughter, and happiness too; and it's all mine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope everything is going ok for you. I didn't know you were having a bad month. So sorry! Love this post, though!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you had one of THOSE moments. Hope today is a GREAT one for you. LOVE that picture of your sweet, sweet family.
ReplyDelete