Sometimes I am so desperate to get Laurelei and Abbott to smile, in cute clothes, in the perfect local, with the perfect lighting, and I get so frustrated when it is just a little bit off. I've been dying to get spring pictures of the little ones. That requires a great deal of maneuvering on my part. Getting them dressed, keeping them happy, keeping them clean. When I started to think about it, the whole reason I wanted pictures of them was to just trap those sweet faces in time, having a beautiful reminder someday of just what they were like at this age.
Well, today during lunch time I had a big aha! moment. Laurelei was sitting in her high chair, making faces at Abbott who was playing on the floor. Her face couldn't have been grimier with some serious mac and cheese remnants going on, but it also couldn't have been more perfect. After a few minutes of studying their little expressions and just watching them interact, I decided this would be these would be the perfect expressions to capture. I grabbed the camera and proceeded to snap a few pictures of them, just as they were. I wasn't being demanding or interrupting their playtime. I was just a bystander with a camera, capturing the most perfect memories.
Someday I like to think that when I look back at pictures, I'll be the most excited to look at the ones that have memories attached to them. Of course I'll love the ones of us all in our Sunday best too, but I think I'll really relish in the memories more. I'll look back at these pictures and just see the sweet, perfect little faces of two beautiful babies on a day that couldn't have been more wonderful. It probably won't even matter that my camera was all kinds of broken and all the pictures are way overexposed. Or that Laurelei had no pants on and cheese all over her face. Or that Abbott was still in yesterday's clothes. All that will matter will be those two faces that I love, perfectly frozen in time.
I am totally with you on the being desperate to capture those perfect photos sometimes. It becomes an obsession for me and then it just takes even more perfect photos like these to help me remember too that these are definitely the best ones, the memory savers, the ones that we will cry over as they graduate from high school, get married, etc. The ones with a story behind them for us to share repeatedly with our babies until they can recite them on their own. : )
ReplyDeleteLove these photos. You have some gorgeous babies.
Those faces are absolutely precious.... and really, I love the post below or maybe below that one.... the 25% me one! It is so true~ I had the same a-ha moment after Tula was born. I am a new me and new isn't always a bad thing! I have been redefined by my current most important job in life... mama!
ReplyDelete