Bed rest has given me ample time to do many things I never spent too much time on, and also taken away some luxuries I took for granted too. I blog a lot, writing stuff on here as a sort of therapy and staying way ahead of my posts over on our cooperative blog Lemon Tree Creations, I take more pictures and have more time to learn to actually edit, I've read 3 whole books.
On the flip side, I realize some of the things I look forward to every year that I've taken for granted. I miss this productive time of the year in my classroom. (That's right, I said it, I miss the going back to school part of school. It's like they say in You've Got Mail, my favorite movie, "Don't you just love New York in the fall? Makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew you name and address..." The idea of that is like a fairy tale! (I write this a tad smaller because maybe its more of a confession that I should be making as we teachers lament the closing of those glorious summer days!?))
I've missed wasting my days away with L. Swimming, chasing her around the house, cuddling with her in our pj's all day long, pure mommy and me time. Summers and long breaks from school have always been the times when I get to steal her back from Matt for awhile. The perpetual 'daddy's girl' becomes mommy's just long enough. Hmm, we'll have to work on that!
This past week I discovered something that might link L and I together in some cosmic way though, no matter how much time we spend together or apart. Anybody who knew me in high school, or knew me really WELL I should say, might know something or other about the unicorn suit. L found it in an old bin this week and was immediately mesmerized. You can tell from the pictures that she is trying to figure out what in the world she was putting on her head, but we are pretty confident this little unicorn tale might live on into a second generation.
You think about what you want to pass down to your kids, all of the good and noble things about you. In all of your thoughts of their great futures and hopes and dreams you kind of lose sight of the fact that maybe they will 'inherit some of your crazy too.' I'm okay with that. If L spends half the amount of time laughing with her family and closest friends over her days with the unicorn suit she'll be better for it I am sure.
Maybe you've noticed I have some extra time on my hands, leaving me prone to such confessionals?
No comments:
Post a Comment