Thursday, September 29, 2011

Baby Abbott, your Birth Story

Dear Abbott,

You surprised us all by coming at 36 weeks. Not that we weren't expecting you to be early, we just had no idea when you would actually come! You had put mommy on bed rest for close to 14 weeks and for the most part we were expecting you to come at any point throughout the whole thing. I sometimes don't think I will ever be able to forget all of the details surrounding your entrance into the world, just like I felt with your big sister Laurelei. Everything about you and that day was perfect in every single way.
 I went into the doctor on September 19th, just like I had every week for the past few weeks. They hooked me up to the monitor and started watching your heart rate and my contractions. It was no surprise to anyone that I was having contractions still around 5 minutes apart. Most of them didn't hurt to bad, but they were strong and steady as they had been for the past few weeks. As always, you were such a champ. Your heart beat was strong and steady. I was sure the doctor would just send us home to wait patiently for another week. Dr. Slone came in to check on us and was surprised when I was making a little more progress than she had hoped, as I was already 3+ centimeters along. That news, plus a few returning symptoms of the abruption was enough to send you and me back over to the hospital for the 3rd time this month! The only difference was, Dr. Slone said I wouldn't get to leave this time without a baby! I immediately texted daddy and Gigi and we all got very excited. You would be here in 24 hours, we just couldn't believe it!

When we got to the hospital we only had a tentative plan of action. Dr. Slone was very careful throughout the whole pregnancy not to make any big decisions to quickly. She told me we would watch you and my contractions over night, beginning to help me along with some pitocin at 1:00am if I needed it. Well, you were determined to come because I kept making progress on my own and it scared her enough to wait to give me any help until the morning. Dr. Slone really wanted to be there for you and me when you were born, and I am glad she made the decisions that she did! She came back to see up at 8:30 on Tuesday morning, the 20th. It was then that my water broke and within seconds the contractions were less than a minute apart! Daddy didn't even have time to brush his teeth until the wonderful anesthesiologist came in at 10:30 to save us all! We were already up to 7 centimeters and if she hadn't been on time, I think I might have missed the epidural. I don't think any of us would have enjoyed that too terribly much. By 11:00am I was already up to 9cm and had to text your daddy who was still in the waiting room to hurry back, because we were going to have a baby very, very soon! Around 11:30 we were 9.5 and Dr. Slone was back to bring you into the world. I was so anxious and excited and beyond ready to meet you! I loved you so much already and I hadn't even seen you yet. I knew you would be perfect.

Things started to get a little scary after that. You weren't handling all the stress and swiftness of the labor so well. Around 11:00 you had started to go into distress and your heart rate dropped. By the time we were ready to deliver Dr. Slone decided it was better to take us to the OR for a C-section, but you mister were having none of that. You forced her to change her mind again when she realized we were out of time and at that very minute we had to bring you into the world. Your daddy held my hand, the nurses talked me through it, and Dr. Slone did what she had to do to make sure you came that very minute at 11:53am. The few seconds your cord was wrapped around your neck were the longest seconds of my life. I watched you and prayed for you to cry and take your first breath. When you cried out to us for the first time my heart jumped for joy. Daddy and I were over the moon.
You surprised us all again by weighing in at a healthy 6lbs 10oz! We are so thankful for Dr. Slone, who went above and beyond to bring both you and Laurelei into the world safely. She watched over you like a hawk from day one and took such good care of us. I am not sure that with anyone else in the delivery room we would have had the same outcome. I just know God put her in all of our lives.
Mommy was able to hold you for a few minutes before they whisked you away. Being early meant you had a few things they needed to check out. You had some fluid in your lungs and trouble breathing. My heart sank in the recovery room as you and daddy spent time in the nursery without me. I wanted to see you so very badly!
 You weren't able to come back to us that night until around 6:30pm. We were so excited when they wheeled you in! Daddy and I had everyone leave the room for a little while so we could have you all to ourselves. I fed you and cuddled you and everything seemed right in the world. You still whine, wheeze and grunt when you breathe right now, but we know that in time it will all work itself out. Just like your sister you are still perfect in every way.
You had many visitors that day who mostly had to see you through the nursery window. Gigi and Poppy, Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Dana, Papaw and Ginger, Uncle Harry and Jackson, Aunt Kathy, Mamaw and PaPaw, Jess and Jarod, and of course your big sister Laurelei! I am probably forgetting someone as you were so well loved even before you were born!
I hope that as you grow you never forget how much we love you. As much as we loved you the day you were born we will love you more and more every single day of your life. Daddy and I are so blessed to have you and Laurelei. Our family is complete. I am forever grateful.

Love,
Mommy

5 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful story! Made me cry. He is so perfect. Your family is adorable and ever so blessed. Excited to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet and dear, I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am crying too. Such a precious and heartfelt story. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you've had such a perfect outcome after a stressful last several months. This is a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Abbott's perfect birthday story!! I hope you all are adjusting to a family of 4 :) I am sure Laurelei is over the moon for her sweet baby brother!

    ReplyDelete