Being off bed rest today made me feel brave! After sitting through trainings at work all day, I rushed to the sitters to pick up Laurelei earlier than I usually do. She was still down for a nap, but I figured that waking her up with the promise of ice cream would be just fine, and I was right. She was quite happy to oblige my craving for Orange Leaf! The prospect of her pink and chocolate ice-cream made her extra happy and chatty in the car, and we had one of the first real conversations we've had in a while. (Two year old conversations are just the best, aren't they?) It started out being all random questions from one of us to the other. I asked about her day and she asked about mine. Then she wanted to know who my little brother was and if I was a big sister. This lead into her favorite conversation these days about how she is going to be a big sister because she is a big girl. The conversation took an unexpected turn in this direction:
L: "Mommy, I need you to buy me a car."
Me: "I don't think you are big enough to drive a car yet, are you?"
L: "Yeah, I need a car. I a big girl now, I should drive myself."
Me: "I think that we will have to wait awhile for that. Let's just decide what kind of ice cream we should get for now, ok?"
L: "Ok, I'll ask my daddy."
It made me wonder if we've taught her a bad habit? Namely, that if one of us says 'no' she should just go ask the other person and her wish just might be granted. Or maybe it's that we've talked so much about her being a big girl that she holds herself to very few limits now. We should work on both of those!
Anyway, we went and got ice cream and it was wonderful. The conversation continued and L was just so thoughtful, excited, sweet the entire time. No sign of the terrible two's anywhere around! At least not tonight.
When we finished our ice cream Laurelei helped me with the grocery shopping. We went to the 'big' Kroger so that she could have her very own cart. We don't do that very often, so she was VERY excited about it. She waved hello to everyone we saw. After they passed us she would always say, "that's my friend." This is something new she picked up that I just love. She refers to everyone as her friend. She loves people, and it is so sweet!
Let me tell you, if you see this girl coming with a cart, you might want to make room. Her steering isn't, let's say, proficient at the moment.
We had such a great afternoon. I am really excited about having a little more freedom to take L out on some special mommy/ daughter dates, it is such a blessing investing time into her!
No comments:
Post a Comment