I chose the words poor planning because for the most part we've made the choices that have lead to the majority of the chaos around here. For instance I decided that this week was the perfect time for Laurelei's 2 and a half year check up. That seems reasonable considering that she's actually a little overdue for it, but with the way the week has gone, today's check up just ended up being 'icing' on the cake. After 5 days of teaching, 2 days of almost non-stop contractions and a house full of dust I decided that today I should take L to the doctor all by myself. To a doctor who is conveniently located at the hospital, through a parking garage, up three floors and down the hall. (Keep that in mind for later in the story)
So we get to the doctor, feeling blessed that we haven't had to go in almost 6 months because L finally has a clean bill of health, only to realize that I have completely forgotten how all consuming Laurelei's fear is of anyone in a lab coat. I mean I can't blame her after the time she has spent in the hospital this year, but how in the world could I have forgotten this? We spend a good 30 minutes waiting around with Laurelei climbing all over my very pregnant self, only to find out that this check-up actually comes with a complete physical AND 4 very painful shots for the little one. Poor L. It definitely never gets any easier watching someone stick your baby. Of course L was screaming and completely inconsolable. Of course I had to hold her. Of course I had to waddle my way ALL the way back to the car (remember the convenience factor?) with a heartbroken child and a huge pregnant belly. Like I said, in retrospect this was extremely poor planning on this mommy's part. What in the world was I thinking?
As soon as we got in the car Laurelei had a list of people she needed to call to share her sob story with. She called Matt, and Gigi, and Poppy and told them all about how 'this mean lady pinched her at the doctors and she got 4 bandaids and it still hurt and she needed ice cream to make them feel better and she no like the doctor and..." It was a hard afternoon all around. I have learned my lesson. I will indeed be taking reinforcements to the dentist appointment our doctor said it was time to schedule for L. (I mean really, can you say yikes!?)
Lucky for both L and me that daddy is just so awesome.
He managed to perk little Laurelei right up with a few minutes of quality playtime,
some extra band-aids,
and a good snuggle.
He didn't stop there either! He's on his way home right now with our favorite take-out chinese for us too! What a catch? We are planning to eat it in bed over some much needed conversation time. My favorite kind of date. I just love that guy. :)They say hind-sight is 20/20. I am planning on scheduling some much better decisions in the near future!
Yikes, that is a lot!! The walking alone, let alone all of the consoling! Glad Matt took over when you got home, it sounds like you and L both needed that ice cream after the shots!
ReplyDeleteThis plus a bathroom remodel, and the start of school?! I'm sure you're sleeping well at night. So glad that all has continued to go well for you and Abbott, not long now!
you are a busy girl!! but i am glad you are able to work right now - i know that helps financially!
ReplyDelete